How to install a WordPress theme.
It is very easy as long as you know how to use an FTP program and and a ZIP extractor.
First, you need to upload the extracted theme folder to your web host. To do that, follow these steps:
- Download the theme .ZIP file to your computer (eg. bb_real-black.zip).
- Unzip the theme .ZIP file. Make sure your unzipping application retains the original folder structure present within the .ZIP file otherwise you may run into problems. You should end up with a single folder that has a name similar to your theme’s name. This is the folder that contains your theme files, graphics folder and anything else needed to support the theme.
- Using an FTP client, connect to your web server and upload the complete theme folder to the wp-content/themes/ folder which is part of your WordPress folder. If your WordPress is setup as the root then you will see your wp-content folder as one of your main folders.
Now that the theme is uploaded and in the right place, WordPress should see it.
You tell WordPress to use it by following these steps:
- Log in to your WordPress administration dashboard.
- Click on Appearance and Themes.
- Click on the theme you just installed and activate it.
- Now view your blog to see the newly installed theme in action.
Thats all there is to it.
Now that you have your chosen theme installed it’s time to move on to setting up widgets, creating some pages and starting to blog!